What is the School of Research Data Science?
Our schools provide young researchers with the core skills that will allow them to be more effective and efficient in the work they do, to analyse the data at their disposal and to take advantage of the emerging culture of Open Science.
The primary goal of the Research Data Science School is to teach foundational Data Science skills to Early Career Researchers in LMICs, with a related goal of regionalizing training capacity by growing a community of alumni, instructors, classroom helpers, and hosting institutions. This train-the-trainer approach and growing community of regional trainers reduces the cost of the events for the local hosting institutions and increases the number of events that can be run.
- To address a recognised need for Research Data Science Skills across disciplines.
- To use and adapt existing materials to create an accredited curriculum that is more than the sum of its parts.
- To provide a pathway from a broad introductory course for all researchers.
- To be reproducible: all materials will be online with Open licences.
- To be scalable: emphasis will be placed on Training New Teachers (TNT) and building sustainable partnerships.
- To pay particular attention to the needs of early career researchers in MICs.